Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 06, 2011

The One with the Undateable Meg

Disclaimer: 
This was written in the purpose of poking fun at what happened to me recently. I was hanging out with a "couple friend" and they were trying to pair a tall Information Technology guy with my petite Foreign Affairs Liaison girl friend while I was sitting right across the table - the plus-size Instructional Design goddess (and my mother agrees so I don't care what you think....lolz!). My mind was actually screaming the word propinquity but hey, why say it when I can just blog about it? 

I was hanging out at a coffee shop the other day with a few friends. Two of them, a married couple and one single chick. We were a fearsome foursome as one by one, law students from a nearby grad school started leaving our area. I think they were bothered by how loud and despicable our conversation was getting. 

Fact 1: Couples love to hook people up. 


Wife: Oh I think my friend Mel would love to go out with Harry. She's been pretty bummed about being single.
Husband: They're perfect together, Mel has cats and Harry has a one-man armpit band! *snickers* 

You're not an established couple until you have done the following: 
1. Fought over dishes. 
2. Scrubbed a kitchen or bathroom floor cos you're just plain disgusted - and it's not done out of love 
3. Hooked up his old high school/college/pro-football buddy with her old high school/college/tap dance classmate at the Y (or vice versa, but yikes, wifey played pro-football?!)
4. Decided on which way you're going to raise your kids (disciplinarian dad and maternal mum VS doting dad and meticulous mom) 
5. Established what religion you will follow

So, number 3 is always - ALWAYS - something that happens. I'm pretty happy I have tons of married and non-single friends cos they really tend to hook you up. Sometimes with the weirdest, wildest and most unthinkable matches, down to the macabre, scary and disturbing ones. Yes, I was once paired with someone who told me that if you stab someone's liver, the guy would die if 15 minutes lapses OR black blood comes out, whichever comes first. Yeah, my reaction was... "Uhm, you like livers pala <read: apparently>?!" The guy never called me back. 

So lo and behold, when they were talking about a guy, let's call him Mr. I (as in I think I may have missed my chance with you, but hey, let's put it out there for the world to know Mr. I), I thought, oh well, perfect, I just need to meet said guy and I'll be either one boyfriend nearer to my goal of finding "the one" or I have meet Mr. I and he can teach me something about love and life and maybe we'll best friends. 

The couple wanted Mr. I to meet my other single friend. 

Normally, I would taken offense and said, well what about me says I'm undateable (if such a term exists)?
1. I'm not desperate - yeah I write a blog about being single but it doesn't mean I'm advertising myself for the world to see... (Hmn, if anyone's interested, please PM me your number.) But I got standards... (Must be male, at least 5'7 in height, with a pleasing personality) and morals (Must know how to explain filial piety) and smarts (Must know how to switch a computer on). 
2. I earn money, a little at a time, but I do! 
3. I am smart (Did you read the word propinquity up in the disclaimer? Yeah...I use it a lot, like ostensibly or something...) 

Fact 2: Couples will try to explain as a unit why they decided to not hook YOU up. 


There are a million reasons why you can be perfect for someone but there's only one reason why you can't be hooked up with someone... 

Wife: Yeesh, I told you she'd be touchy about it.
Husband: Yeah, yeah, yeah... I'm trying to come up with a way to get out of it...  Yeesh! 

And I never found it cos we had to go home. It was pretty late. Anti-climactic huh? Did I mention that I'm freaky smart? Like ostensibly? 

Ending disclaimer (ie: this is the real blog post):
I really don't mind being unable to date anyone at this point. There's a ton of things I want to do with the free time that I have. I want to write and express myself, I want to find my passion and I want to fuel me. I want something to drive me and I really want that to be me (Like ostensibly! Lolz... BTW, I know what ostensibly means after looking it up and reading it 3x). I just fear sometimes that even my friends think I'm undateable. 

Another Disclaimer: 
No photographers were harmed intellectually during the making of this blog post. 
All pictures legally came from Stock Xchnge

2 comments:

candysg25 said...

Wow! I'm actually part of a couple! I have done everything in the list, including scrubbing surfaces etc etc.

(I voted WTF because I don't know what FTW meant.)

**meg** said...

Hahaha, yes you are!
FTW means For The Win. ;) Loves you for commenting!