Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The One with the Rebound

rebound - (n) an undefined period following the break up of a romantic relationship. The term's use dates to at least the 1830s, when Mary Russell Mitford wrote of "nothing so easy as catching a heart on the rebound".

This didn't really make sense to me until a few months ago. To be honest, prior to finding my ex, I always defined rebound as this pharmacological phenomenon of returning symptoms when you discontinue or stop taking a medication <read: pain coming back after you stop taking pain-killers>. 

Right, it could be about basketball too, but then I never really understood basketball! 
Nowadays, being on the rebound means you're physically with someone with little to no emotions and you're just going through the motions of being in a relationship. Perhaps to wean yourself off the pain or being dumped, moreover, to increase your confidence that someone would be with you in a relationship. 

Hard to glue the pieces back together when your heart is broken. 
You can always say that life is somewhat fair. It gives you what you need exactly when you need it. Others turn to friends, some turn to an ex, some turn to their family, some find someone new. And it's always a rebound. 

A couple of months back, there was someone I thought I might have genuine feelings for. He would flirt, he would be affectionate and would talk to me for hours. That affection is gone. Perhaps, he got tired of my obsession to analyze things. Perhaps it was just a fleeting thing. In any case, was he my rebound guy? I would think back and look at his Facebook profile and laugh at his status and always wonder, does he ever look at my status? Would he ever pick up his phone and give me a call and wonder if he ever pursued me, would there be a real chance at a future? All I know is he left me better than he ever found me, and if this is what rebounding is supposed to be, I'm happy he rebounded with me. 

Sometimes, I wonder if I'll ever find a guy that's tall, dark and handsome. Should I settle for a shadow? 
If you ask me if I hate him, no. Am I disappointed? Not really. I expected the worst and hoped for the best. Will I ever find someone "better" than him? Maybe. Who knows? But for now, I am happy that I met him and I was able to express my affection. 

Oh, and the best thing about it is, if he's a drug, I didn't have a "rebound" phenomenon. <scroll up if you forgot what that meant>

No photographers were harmed intellectually during the making of this blog post. 
All photos were taken from Stock Xchnge

No comments: