Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The One with the Baby

Last Saturday, I was able to see my long-time (as in long-time, like since Nursery, man!) friend. Cym. She's is married with 2 kids, the eldest Ela being my godchild.

I have always loved kids. I even taught in an Episcopalian church during weekends about a decade ago so I can curb my need to be around children (that just made me sound like a total perv) but there's this "maternal yearning" to be around children. I find them cute, adorable, lovable... and yes, even the screaming ones.

Caleb smiling... 

Cym helping Ela with her homework. 

Who won't love that smile? 
Around 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with a condition called PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). It's not life-threatening. I just remember that I was told five things:

1. Good luck having babies but they can help me out when I'm ready. I was given pamphlets and brochures on assisted fertilization.
2. I was told to expect weight gain (As if I wasn't fat enough at that time). I remember being told that no matter what I do, I will gain weight. So, there's no use fighting it. Just love the skin you're in.
3. I was told to cut back on the sugar (no more sugary treats from Starbucks or Coffee Bean).
4. I had to take a plethora of medications. Some of which aggravated headaches, made me nauseated every darned time, let me retain so much water that I felt bloated every day and some even caused me a lot of mood swings!
5. I had to undergo an invasive diagnostic test every 6 months to check how well the medication was doing.

Remember that 4 years ago, not much was known about this disease. Doctors would pretty much ascribe what I had to something related to the pituitary gland, obesity, diabetes or anything to that effect. So religiously, I would go to the doctor, undergo the invasive diagnostic test and lie as quietly (without shaking so badly) as I can while they check my internal organs for more damage.

Last December 28th, I visited my doctor once more.

I got a clean bill of health - well, not really free and clear, because I was a very good patient, a good number of unruptured follicles have gone. There's only 3 left on both ovaries, unlike when they started testing for my follicles and I had about 20 for each ovary (yes kids, there are two ovaries, the left and the right...).  This meant that I can now have kids, I can finally try to lose weight and there might be some results and more importantly, they have weaned me off a lot of the medications that caused nausea, mood swings and severe bloating (yay for skinny jeans!).

During the diagnostic procedure, my doctor told me in her old rich Filipino accent, "Finally, after years of treating you, you can now have babies... eh paano yan, single ka na... <read: Too bad you're single now> Well you know, you can get sperm donors now. I can tell my other doctor friends noh.".

Ah such is irony.

For now, I'll live vicariously through my friends.

2 comments:

candysg25 said...

Bittersweet victories. Victories, nonetheless :)

Love the skin you're in. Amen.

**meg** said...

Amen, baby! This is why you need to have a healthy mix of friends. Single, married, coupled and those in between! Lolz.