Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The One with the Fairytales


Something I wrote in November 13, 2008. Edited and annotated for everyone's sake. 

I will never let my children read fairy tales - ever! Especially when I have a daughter...

We all love tiaras but it ain't worth it. 

See, one of the things that fairy tales taught me was to hope for a prince in his shining silver armor, in his white horse to come and rescue me from everything that I am in. It seems that every woman in my age group still has that notion that someday, their princes will come. 

Somehow, it's not good for the female psyche. It sucks that while most women have the ability to run Fortune 500 companies, or have the ability to perform as a hyphenate, they still have the notion that marriage is the finality of the race - IE: the finish line.


I saw my Tita the other day, and she stayed over for breakfast (french toast, wieners and fruit, thank you very much...), she asked me about my "marriage plans". I said I have a boyfriend and that we're very happy to which she prodded, "What, ayaw niya matali sa yo?" (Literal translation: "What, he doesn't want to be tied to you?")


The problem with "well-meaning relatives" is that they have the ability to make you feel less deserving than when you first started dating. When I was 24, I was being asked for a boyfriend. Now that I am 27, I am being asked for a husband. It's like no one wants to talk about how I single-handedly organized the training department of a young company and how I made sure that the training evaluation program was set in place. No one wants to talk about how I got off a car accident alive last year. No one wants to talk about how smooth my skin is thanks to the new Clean and Clear Refreshing Wash I use which is a steal at only Php 119.00. Everyone - well-meaning relatives or not, want to talk about how important marriage is, like I'll never get my happily ever after if I don't get married soon.

**meg**: I'm now almost 30, and I'm still asked the same damned question. Imagine that! Saying we broke up and that I got dumped never gets them to back off... 


I smiled halfway through my delicious french toast (made with skimmed milk - thanks to how anal I am when it comes to cooking healthier food for my folks), and sat there - perplexed. I gave her the envelope she needed and proceeded to the dirty kitchen to smoke one good stick of cigarette.


While Cinderella might have been a non-smoker, the tar and coal and everything in that fireplace might have given her enough high for the days when she had to clean the fireplace. I thought about what my aunt said. And thought about why my boyfriend doesn't want to marry me. It's just not time yet. I totally get that. It sucks because I see the logic in this whole waiting game. I just don't understand why sometimes, I'm gripped with fear that he will march off and leave.


Yes, no one actually did this for me. 

Somehow, I get the idea. I understand that I'm not Rapunzel with the long hair, I'm not Snow White with the seven dwarves. I'm no Cinderella either. I'm just not a princess, and I'm not looking for a prince. I'm just a simple woman, who wants a simple man. But indeed, life is complicated. There's no happily ever after. There's work to be done after a relatonship comes alive - and you really have to do everything to make it happen.

**meg**: Yes, well, everything in its own time. 


Note: No photographers were harmed intellectually during the making of this post. Pictures that were not taken by **meg** were obtained legally from Stock Xchng

Candy is a blog author herself. Read riveting revelations about Candy on her blog

5 comments:

ceemee said...

The irony of things!

Did you read my own version of a fairytale? ;-)

**meg** said...

Haven't yet. Is it in the story blog?

candysg25 said...

I'm "like-ing" this post because it promotes my blog at the end, even though none of it relates to me lolol (define: templates?) hehe

Ceemee said...

It's in my main blog filed under short fictional story entitled A Twisted Fairytale.

**meg** said...

@Candy - Lolz! I promote everyone's blogs! Hahaha! But I like yours best cos I live in it! It's all about me, me, me! Hahaha!
@Ceemee - I haven't even written a story on your blog yet! Ack!