Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 28, 2011

The One with the Prowess

I had a quick talk with a younger family member of a good friend. She currently works for a BPO and has mentioned that as an agent, she does pretty well but her scorecards change so often that she gets so confused about what to follow and what to expect next. 

BPO personnel often think that they should always change it up. 
I figured I'd talk to her and find out more about what she wants. She opened up and told me that she wants to be a coach someday. I asked her what she's doing about it and she said, nonchalantly, that's fine. It's all politics. You can date an OM (Operations Manager) and next week become a supervisor. 

That really troubled the heck out of me. I was never the type to rub elbows intentionally. If I see them, I'll say hello, offer them a smoke or a cup of coffee (if we have some handy) and if I encounter them in a resto, I'd of course walk over and say hello. 

Losers wear a frown and smilers wear a crown! Booyah! 
I do a lot of sideline work, and special marketing and consulting projects tend to make you seem more popular than you are, especially if they're Chinese businessmen and they just want some marketing or campaign letters, newsletters or magazine ads. I bump into them in the doctor's office, near my old school, inside a mall boutique and yep, sometimes, while walking home from the nearby drugstore. So, yes, I do walk over, say hello, speak in their vernacular and tell them that I hope they contact me soon for more pictures or web templates or marketing pieces. But I figured, it's only because I'm selling myself (not myself literally!). And let's face it, in the project-contractual world, we don't have scorecards. We only have face value, a hard copy and a soft copy that can be replicated by 10,000 other Six Sigma, SDI and Industrial Manufacturing certified personnel in the field. 

Talking to her, this is when I remembered what I had written in my journal when I was younger. I was so pissed off. One of the high school classmates I had was "voted" an editor. Yes, the high school paper's editorial board was actually voted. They were not judged based on writing skills or knowledge of lay-outs or who's been in the group long, it was an election, which obviously turned out to be a major popularity contest. I had a diary then that would lock in front and I had the key with me at all times. Thanks to Ondoy (International Name: Ketsana), I was able to unearth the diary and I jammed the lock out, allowing me to review and read what I had written so long ago. 

I remember sitting by a tree in the school and writing about it while trying so hard not to cry.
It's never who you know, it's always who you are... Never mistake perception for personality, never assume power for prowess and never take pertinence for passion. 

I was 15, I was miffed and I can't understand why on earth would people choose someone popular and not someone who can do the job? Why does it matter who your clique is? Why can't you get a job or a position based on how efficiently you did? 

I looked at my younger friend across the table. I told her fine, rub elbows, but be sure you're competent enough cos people who can't simply won't. 

All photos are taken official from Stock Xchng

5 comments:

diagirl10 said...

I hope this person is not working for my account, Meg! I can relate to your views on popularity contests. I'd lose on those every time. But I don't mind because then, people can't ever doubt my work ethics, nor question my achievements.

**meg** said...

I think we get to where we are based on the values we have. I've seen it happen and I am not going to deny that I wished sometimes, I can be that person. However, I'd rather be seen as someone with passion and dedication than be thought of as someone popular and cute. Hahaha!

Thanks for reading, Dia! I totally understand and when I was working with you, I saw that you cared deeply about people learning and loving what they do. :) Don't worry, she doesn't work for the same company.

said...

BPO industries...so glad I'm not working for one anymore! =D

said...

Oh...I almost forgot my contribution to the "Get Meg a Jaguar Foundation"! Silly me! Not sure what's wrong with mine tho...my AdSense thingy ain't updating. I think I'll give up on that and just blog. Lol!

**meg** said...

@Shaui - Oh gosh, I kinda like it, but sometimes, you encounter some BPOs that tend to be political, it sucks. :)