Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The One with the Dezzato

I've never been a fan of desserts. I know, that's odd for a woman and for someone my age, but I'd really rather eat a meal than spend for pastries slathered in whipped cream and chocolate ganache. 

This picture doesn't do anything for me, while it probably produces that feeling of longing for a lot of you... 
I have never been a fan of sweets, nor chocolates. In fact, I'd rather have some fruits if I really want dessert. What? I'm half-Chinese, we eat a banana and that's dessert! It's amazing to me though how my friends actually leave room for dessert and it's a must for every meal! (And in some cases, for my friend Irish, it's a must with every wine or alcoholic beverage). 

Historically, only Westerners tend to eat desserts. The word "dessert" is actually coined from a French word meaning "to clear the table" and "to serve". Amazingly, it's something we Asians have come to adopt and love. I've gotten all kinds of excuses ranging from the scientific - "it kind of signals our brain to stop eating" or to the odd - "I'd rather have dessert than steak cos I'm on a diet" down to the bizarre - "I'm very addicted to this cake, I can't stop eating it". Sometimes, I wonder why it's a tendency for most women to love desserts more than an actual meal. While an actual meal is consist of protein and carbohydrates and other complex vitamins which the body can use for later, desserts just tend to make one crave for more sugar, and can actually infect your throat. 

We also like Japanese food. Tempura's Menu. 
We headed off to Tempura. Amazing Japanese food, but you're probably tired of shots of raw fish so I decided to take pics of the desserts we had. 

This is how sushi starts out, you guys. Sans the amazing cutlery-work of sushi chefs. 
While most Asian desserts tend to be gelatinous or squishy like red bean paste buchi or almond jelly, Tempura went all the way Western and we were given a choice of highly decorated cake slices from a tray or plate. Knowing the dessert fiend my friend is, we had to make room for dessert after tempura and some amazing Curry Omu Rice, which was sooo yummy! We ordered from their dessert plate. 

I had a fruit-filled cake. It was a layer of chiffon topped with some light cream and lots of fruits. 

That's another shot. Dezaato is the Japanese word for dessert. 

Chloe had the sexy chocolate cake from the dessert plate. 

One more shot - it's got heavy whipped cream atop while fudge drips off its sides. 
I never quite understood desserts, I doubt I ever will, completely. But I know one thing for sure, people love them, people will love them for more years to come and I have completed something off my bucket list - appreciate new kinds of food!  


Picture of the raw fish on ice - obtained legally from Stock Xchng
All pictures of the food have not been styled. You can check them out at your nearest Tempura Japanese Grill
All pictures were taken with a Sony DSC cam. 

No comments: